Since I was a small child I have always been a huge chocolate addict. Chocolate just makes me happy and (small confession) I absolutely cannot go a day without it! I always feel a bit guilty eating a chocolate with my afternoon tea knowing the processed and modified ingredients that go into it – never mind all the sugar! So I’m on a bit of a mission to find a healthier alternative to my afternoon chocolate fix. These little raw chocolate bombs hit the spot! Obviously they are fairly rich in energy so enjoy them in moderation. However, I do find that when choosing a ‘clean’ treat like this, that is homemade from natural unmodified ingredients, that I am far more satisfied, one really is enough. A regular chocolate bar on the other hand is never enough and I’m always left feeling hungry for more.
This is most likely because these little treats are packed with healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber from the seeds and nuts that help slow the release of sugar from the dates and dried cranberries.
Try choose unsweetened dried cranberries – these usually have a greater antioxidant content and obviously lower sugar content.
- 1 cup mixed seeds – sunflower, flax, pumpkin
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- ¼ cup coconut
- 2 heaped tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil
- ) Add the coconut, nuts and seeds to a food processor or powerful blender, blend until they are a creamy consistency
- ) Add the melted coconut oil
- ) Add the cocoa powder
- ) Use a tablespoon to form into small palm size balls
- ) Store in the fridge
- ) Dust with cocoa powder to serve